Meetings and Events
Weekly Support Group Meetings
Women LISTEN Support Meetings
We meet every Friday morning from 10:00 until 11:30 at the Title Wave Books at 1360 W Northern Lights Boulevard. You are welcome to contact us if you like, or just join us.
The meeting is held in the bookstore which is located in the shopping center at Spenard Road and Northern Lights Blvd, between REI and the Alaska Club.
- Come and listen in
- Ask questions
- Share your story, if you like
- Meet other women coping with all stages of cancer
Usually 5-10 women come to the group each Friday. They may come to find a new perspective on their feelings or thoughts. It is a place to share ideas, laugh, problem solve, learn resources, receive encouragement or get questions answered. A nurse practitioner, who has worked in the field of oncology for many years, facilitates the group. We would love to have you join us. Please invite a friend or family member if you wish. The group is open to women only. This is not group therapy but we are great listeners and have found that being listened to is very powerful. We encourage attentive listening whenever a woman is speaking. Our purpose is to help prepare the next woman on this journey by sharing what we have learned.
Come check us out!
Other Support Group Meetings
Please check out the most recent newsletter from Alaska Cancer Care Alliance for additional support group meetings and resources.
Why Should I Get Involved With a Support Group?
Research and participants say that a cancer support group can often:
- Help people find information and resources about their disease
- Improve quality of life through tips from the experiences of others
- Introduce new friends and reduce unwanted aloneness
- Help people reduce depression and find hope
- Give people a way to help others traveling a similar road
- Help people cope, gain insight, and increase zest for life
Business and Board Meetings
Planning and strategic meetings are scheduled quarterly and on an as-needed basis.
There are currently no other events scheduled.
Please note: Retreat information is available on our retreats page.